 | New research or not, it appears as though we are the best hope currently. It also now appears as we really need to apply what we know before it spreads here or more people come here with it and spread it. I hope the president and congress and work together (ha ha ha ) and get the FDA to fastrack where possible. |
Comment History  | Natasha I don't intend to claim the work you and many others are doing is not valuable, nor that the US is not contributing volumes of knowledge to the world. My comments are directed at this point to which our system providing for medical research and care which I think is corrupted and daily degraded in quality. I do think to claim we are so exceptional and lead the way in everything good is dangerous hubris. |
 | The more I hear of this case I have little doubt this man came expecting to need treatment. Hell His family called the CDC to tell them he had it and because the local hospital had still not caught on. There will be more. acting in their self interest? |
 | A wonderful premise and one, I have to admit, I hadn't thought of. Yes. If I were a Liberian and knew I had been exposed to Ebola, I would head to the airport and get to the US any way I could. |
 | btw when I was an NIH principle investigator we were prohibited from taking patents on anything developed with grant funds. Jonas Salk who developed his vaccine under private funding refused patents. Also from what I can see of this so called new drug for Ebola is simply industrializing a process for securing antibodies created by Ebola survivors, convalescent serum. This is a form of treatment that we have known about for well over 100 years. Hardly an innovative principle recently discovered. I am not saying it is not useful. It has been for years a treatment of last and sometimes first resort. Maybe they are on to something in more novel and reliable than this -- I don't know of it. |
 | Natasha "marketable product"? Perhaps I should have specified scientific research. The US may well lead in development of profitable products but that is mostly little more than applied science and development for the purposes of profit. It is not innovative. I understand the current philosophy of self interest and market principles applied to all aspects of living turns out the best possible life for all. Bunk. It is now provable bunk. It is why the US trails or is about to trail in research in many areas, prominently in medical research. |
Original Post  | Unintended consequences? More information on the Liberian under treatment in Texas seems to suggest he knew full well he had been exposed to Ebola and actually quickly sought out medical attention telling them of his concern about Ebola. I would love to know if he bought his airline ticket before or after he had contact with the woman who died from it along with her brother in Liberia? All the Medical ptb are out there reassuring the US that the medical care for Ebola is so much better than in Africa, specifically Liberia. "it is a different disease in the US than in Africa" they say. It would be hardly surprising that Liberians who worry about contact would head for the airport. So do we have a moral obligation to bring Ebola victims here for life saving treatment? |
|

|
No comments:
Post a Comment