W Lorraine Watkins this is a general comment as I am not sure how long it has been since you were a PI, but one of the newer developments in the research space is indeed the development of marketable products. Universities are just now starting to ramp up technology, licensing, and commercialization offices to adjust to these changes.
That being said, I didn't claim we were exceptional. I said we are the leader in research. And we are. That is a numerical, statistical fact that has been reported on ad nauseum by both NSF and NIH at every conference I've attended for the past 2 years. Sally Rockey just presented the updated numbers in August at the NCURA conference, and it is a frequent topic on her blog Rock Talk.
Now, does that mean that we will continue to be the leader? Not if the government continues to cut research funding and we are losing ground. Which is precisely why NSF and NIH are on a major campaign to have research funding restored, and are putting out everything possible to get the public to pay attention to what is happening with research funding and how continuing to slash the dollars going to research ~ especially biomedical research ~ will eventually be the death of us (literally).
At any rate, what was your research on? Do you have any pubs available in pubmed?
No comments:
Post a Comment